Jump to Navigation

Chicago Child Support Lawyer

Child Support Calculations in Illinois

When the parents of a child no longer live together, the non-custodial parent will be required to pay a portion of his or her income to the custodial parent for support of that child. While Illinois has Child Support Guidelines that set forth the percentage of "net income" that must be paid for support depending on the number of children, calculation of "net income" is often disputed, especially where the parent paying support is self-employed, works overtime, earns commissions or is seasonably employed.

Attorney Roland P. Ernst of the law firm of Carr, O'Rourke & Ernst will work closely with you to calculate the correct amount of child support you should be receiving or contributing. Additionally, he will help address issues such as the cost of day care, extracurricular activities and medical expenses.

Child Support Modifications

When there is a substantial change in circumstances, the court may approve a modification of child support. Roland P. Ernst can assist you in requesting that the court modify a support award. Additionally, in those situations where the support obligation is not paid, he can assist you in enforcement of the court order for support.

Spousal Support

A spouse who has been financially dependent on the other spouse may be entitled to spousal support, which is referred to as maintenance. There are many factors that must be considered in determining whether maintenance should be awarded, and if so, for what period of time, including but not limited to:

  • The length of the marriage
  • The standard of living established during the marriage
  • The present and future earning capacity of each party
  • The age and health of each spouse

Lawyer Roland P. Ernst will listen carefully to the financial details of your case, and if spousal maintenance is applicable, will fight to ensure that it is an appropriate amount for an appropriate amount of time.

Contact an Orland Park Spousal Support Calculation Attorney

Contact Roland P. Ernst toll free at 866-968-1716 to request an initial consultation regarding your child support or maintenance issues. From our law office in Chicago, we serve clients in family law and divorce matters throughout Cook County, including Orland Park, Tinley Park, Arlington Heights, Mount Prospect, and surrounding areas.